Current Size: 100%
Graduate Studies at Howard
The Graduate School serves as the leading advocate and resource for graduate education at Howard University. We provide guidance and assistance to students from the time they are admitted, through the milestones of their graduate school career, to the completion of all degree requirements. The Graduate School serves as the central service center for all programs within the arts and humanities, biological and life sciences, engineering, and social sciences divisions. It is important to us that we offer academic, personal, and professional support services to ensure the life-long success of Howard University master’s, certificate, and doctoral students.
The Graduate School works in partnership with the deans, directors, chairs, faculty, and staff of each program to maintain Howard University’s core values. We are dedicated to attracting and sustaining a cadre of faculty who are—through their teaching, research, and service—committed to the development of our graduate students.
Additionally, the Graduate School provides ongoing review of the quality of new and continuing graduate and certificate programs, implements and supports standards of excellence, maintains student records, and verifies advancement to degree candidacy. It is part of our responsibility to administer policies, procedures, and best practices established by the Graduate School Executive Board and Howard University.
Some of our day-to-day operations include but are not limited to the following:
- Fostering a positive environment for the Howard Graduate School community
- Providing services to students
- Funding students and academic programs
- Training and mentoring students
- Collaborating with Graduate Directors, Chairs, and Deans of the Schools and Colleges
- Maintaining and establishing excellence of academic programs
- Overseeing the Graduate School grievance and appeals process
- Conducting RCR and other ethics trainings
- Coordinating trainings with the University Title IX Office
- Offering professional development workshops
- Stewarding communications and cultivating relationships
- Upholding Howard University academic standards
Learn more about our administrative staff.