Current Size: 100%
Established in 1930 under the leadership of Dr. Francis Sumner, the Department of Psychology at Howard Univeristy has hailed influential alumni such as Drs. Kenneth Clark, Mamie, Clark, James A. Bayton, and Leslie Hicks. It was in this department where Drs. Kenneth and Mamie Clark conducted their seminal research on children’s awareness of racial difference between “colored” and “whites.” This Doll Experiment (1950) provided the foundation for the Brown v. Board of Education case, which led to the landmark decision by the U.S. Supreme Court to rule that ‘separate was not equal.’ This rich tradition has been carried by graduates of the Clinical Psychology PhD program for the past 3 decades, who have tirelessly worked at the forefront of addressing the wellness of unserved communities through scholarship, advocacy, and clinical services.
The Clinical Psychology program at Howard University is a full time, five-year program of study that trains culture-relevant practitioner-scientists to apply the science of psychology to understand how individuals interact with their communities to affect mental and physical well-being.
What sets our program apart?
- Awarded the 2005 APA Richard Suinn Minority Achievement Award, honoring excellence in training ethnic minority PhD students
- Unique research collaborations with Howard University Hospital and other Howard PhD programs in neuropsychology, developmental, social, and personality psychology
- Specialized child, adult, and quantitative statistics tracks
- Active international research programs in Africa and Asia
Contact Information for the Commission of Accreditation: APA Office of Program Consultation and Accreditation, 750 First Street NE, Washington, DC 20002. TEL: (202)336-5979
Congratulations to all students who matched at 2018 APA accredited internship sites.
- Danyella Greene, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Atlanta Decatur, GA
- Sharlene Leong Jeffers, Veteran Affairs Nebraska, Western Iowa Health Care System, Lincoln, NE
- Joshua Allen Dezelle Johnson, McGuire, VA Medical Center, Richmond VA
- Sharon Elizabeth Rose, Alaska Psychology Intern Consortium, Norton Sound Health, Nome, AK
- Joanna Marie Smith, AIduPont Hospital for Children, Wilmington, DE
- Dorneshia L. Thomas, Albany Consortium, Albany Medical College, Albany,
Congratulation to Sharlene Leong (Class of 2019) who was the first-place winner of the 2017 Behavioral Health Academic Scholarship from the American Addiction Centers (AAC). Way to represent!
The following documents must be included in your application packet due December 1
- Howard University Graduate School online application
- Official undergraduate and graduate transcripts
- Three letters of recommendations
- GRE scores (Verbal, Quantitative, Analytic)
- Personal statement of interest to pursue a PhD in Clinical Psychology at Howard (include interest in research with specific faculty)
- Autobiographical statement
- Application fee ($75)
- Writing sample
- Application Checklist & Supplement Application (email directly to Dr. Dominicus So, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- PSYCH 210 Ethics in Professional Psychology. First Year Seminar (3 credits)
- PSYCH 280 Clinical Assessment I
- PSYCH 281 Clinical Assessment II
- PSYCH 294 Individual Psychotherapy I
- PSYCH 296 Individual Psychotherapy II
- PSYCH 291 Family Assessment and Therapy
- PSYCH 220 Psychopathology
- PSYCH 233 Neuropsychology
- PSYCH 288 Neuropsychological Assessment
- PSYCH 207 Statistics I
- PSYCH 208 Statistics II
- PSYCH 206 History and Systems
- PSYCH 205 General Research Methods
- PSYCH 315 Complex Case Conceptualization, Consultation, and Supervision
In order to train students to approach clinical practice and research with multidiscplinary views, students are also required to take Breadth and Minor courses in areas of neuropyschology. developmental, experimental, personality, and social psychology - subdisciplines that intersect with clinical psychology. Child/Adolescent or Adult tracks are also offered to students who are interested in coursework that is more tailored to their research and clinical interests.
Howard places a high emphasis on clinical field training. Students gain supervised training through different placements in the District of Columbia and Maryland areas. Students receive supervised clinical training in areas of psychological assessment, evidenced-based intervention, and community-consulation laison.
- Assessment and Therapy Practicum 1-6 (Years 1-3)
- Externship (Year 4)
- Internship (Year 5)
APA Accredited Internship Placement 2018
Alumni EPPP Licensure Pass Rate (2015-17)
APA Accreditation (1st Clinical Psychology PhD Program at a HBCU)