Current Size: 100%
Psychology PhD (Clinical Psychology Specialization)
The PhD program in Clinical Psychology Specialization is the first and longest standing program at a Historically Black College or University. Accredited by the American Psychological Association (APA) since 1987, we are dedicated to bringing well-being and health to diverse groups in globally unserved settings by rigorously grounding psychological science in transcultural contexts. Our mission is to train scientist-practitioners from diverse backgrounds to apply their services to understanding and reducing societal problems.
STUDENT ADMISSIONS, OUTCOMES, & OTHER DATA (as of September 2020)
Established in 1930 under the leadership of Dr. Francis Sumner, the Department of Psychology at Howard University hailed influential alumni such as Drs. Kenneth Clark, Mamie Clark, James A. Bayton, and Leslie Hicks. It was in this department where Drs. Kenneth and Mamie Clark conducted their seminal research on children’s awareness of racial differences between “colored” and “whites.” This Doll Experiment (1950) provided the foundation for the Brown v. Board of Education case, which led to the landmark decision by the U.S. Supreme Court to rule that ‘separate was not equal.’ This rich tradition has been carried by graduates of the Clinical Psychology PhD program for the past 3 decades, who have tirelessly worked at the forefront of addressing the wellness of unserved communities through scholarship, advocacy, and clinical services.
The Clinical Psychology Specialization program at Howard University is a full time, five-year program of study that trains culture-relevant practitioner-scientists to apply the science of psychology to understand how individuals interact with their communities to affect mental and physical well-being.
What sets our program apart?
- Awarded the 2005 APA Richard Suinn Minority Achievement Award, honoring excellence in training ethnic minority PhD students
- Unique research collaborations with Howard University Hospital and other Howard PhD programs in neuropsychology, developmental, social, and personality psychology
- Specialized child, adult, and quantitative statistics tracks
- Active international research programs in Africa and Asia
Contact Information for the Commission of Accreditation: APA Office of Program Consultation and Accreditation, 750 First Street NE, Washington, DC 20002. TEL: (202)336-5979
We are proud of our students who successfully matched at APA Accredited Internships (2020-21). So proud!
- Folasade Akinkuotu, Devereux Foundation, Children's Behavioral Health Services, Villanova, PA
- Brianna Brower, Yale University, Children Study - Trauma, New Haven, CT
- Arshdeep Kaur, Canandaigua VA Medical Center, Neuropsychology, Canandaigua, NY
- Rebecca Miller, Rutgers Student Health - CAPS, New Brunswick, NJ
Also congratulations to students who received post-doctoral training fellowships (2020-21).
- Mary Katherine Howell, VA Mental Illness Research, Education & Clinical Center
- Amanda Terry, Texas Children's Hospital, Baylor School of Medicine
- Kanesha Simmons, South Texas Veterans Health Care System
- E'leyna Garcia, Texas Children's Hospital, Baylor School of Medicine
The following documents must be included in your application packet due December 1
- Howard University Graduate School online application
- Undergraduate and graduate transcripts
- Three letters of recommendations
- GRE scores (Verbal, Quantitative, Analytic)
- Personal statement of interest to pursue a PhD in Clinical Psychology Specialization at Howard (include interest in research with specific faculty)
- Autobiographical statement
- Non-refundable application fee ($75)
- Writing sample
- Application Checklist & Supplement Application (email directly to Dr. Ezer Kang, email@example.com)
- PSYCH 210 Ethics in Professional Psychology. First Year Seminar (3 credits)
- PSYCH 280 Clinical Assessment I
- PSYCH 281 Clinical Assessment II
- PSYCH 294 Individual Psychotherapy I
- PSYCH 296 Individual Psychotherapy II
- PSYCH 291 Family Assessment and Therapy
- PSYCH 220 Psychopathology
- PSYCH 233 Neuropsychology
- PSYCH 288 Neuropsychological Assessment
- PSYCH 207 Statistics I
- PSYCH 208 Statistics II
- PSYCH 206 History and Systems
- PSYCH 205 General Research Methods
- PSYCH 315 Complex Case Conceptualization, Consultation, and Supervision
In order to train students to approach clinical practice and research with multidiscplinary views, students are also required to take Breadth and Minor courses in areas of neuropyschology. developmental, experimental, personality, and social psychology - subdisciplines that intersect with Clinical Psychology Specialization. Child/Adolescent or Adult tracks are also offered to students who are interested in coursework that is more tailored to their research and clinical interests.
Howard places a high emphasis on clinical field training. Students gain supervised training through different placements in the District of Columbia and Maryland areas. Students receive supervised clinical training in areas of psychological assessment, evidenced-based intervention, and community-consulation laison.
- Assessment and Therapy Practicum 1-6 (Years 1-3)
- Externship (Year 4)
- Internship (Year 5)
APA Accredited Internship Placement 2019
Alumni EPPP Licensure Pass Rate (2015-17)
APA Accreditation (1st Clinical Psychology PhD Program at a HBCU)