The department offers a one-year Accelerated Master of Computer Science degree program, the traditional Master of Computer Science degree program, and a Cybersecurity Graduate Certificate course.
The Master of Computer Science program equips students with a comprehensive knowledge of contemporary computer science through training that combines both theory and practice. The program provides intensive preparation in the concepts and techniques related to the design, programming, and application of computing systems.
The program requires the student to take a broad spectrum of courses, while simultaneously allowing for emphasis in desired areas of specialization. The Computer Science Department at Howard University offers the following computer science specializations:
- Software Engineering
- Algorithms and Machine Learning
- Data communications
- Computer systems
A cumulative grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale is preferred and a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 in major course work is required. Each graduate department may have additional "special admission requirements" which are noted on this page.
- Completed on-line application and signature page or
- Download the paper application (PDF)
- The non-refundable $45 application fee (Waivers accepted for FAMU Feeder Program and McNair Scholars)
- Official transcripts must be submitted directly from the Registrar’s Office from ALL colleges and universities attended
- GRE Scores (Only official score reports are accepted within 5 years of the test date) www.gre.org
- Statement of Academic and Research Interest
- Autobiographical Sketch (Personal biography)
- Three letters of recommendation (Word)
In addition to the requirements listed above you must meet the following:
- Official transcripts, certificates and/or mark/grade sheets must be sent directly from the college or university to the Office of Graduate Recruitment and Admissions, and must show proof of degree(s) earned, courses taken and marks/grades received. Also, ALL transcripts must be evaluated by World Education Services (www.wes.org) or AACRAO (www.aacrao.org) and be forwarded to Graduate Recruitment and Admissions.
- TOEFL Scores (Minimum computer-based score of 213 is required and only official score reports are accepted within 2 years of the test date) www.toefl.org
The department offers a Doctorate of Philosophy (PhD) in a range of specializations. All students must take a minimum of 60 credit hours of course work and a minimum of 12 credit hours of dissertation. All students must be enrolled during the semester their degree is awarded, must be enrolled at Howard University a minimum of 4 semesters. At most 24 credit hours can be transferred into the program from another university. At most 6 credit hours of undergraduate course work can be applied to the program, but must be approved by the faculty advisor
The PhD program in the Computer Science Department provides intensive preparation in the concepts and techniques related to the design, programming, and application of computing systems. The program requires the student to declare a major and minor. The major must be selected from one of the specializations below. The minor can be a computer science specialization or from any specialization offered in any other graduate program at Howard University. The student’s minor selection must be approved by their major advisor to assure synergy between the selected major and minor specializations. The Computer Science Department at Howard University offers the following computer science specializations:
- Software engineering,
- Artificial intelligence,
- Computer networks,
- Computing systems.
- Computational science.
- Computer Science Education.