Current Size: 100%
Psychology Department Information
The Psychology Department, within the graduate school, offers admission to Ph.D. programs in the following specialty areas:
- Clinical Psychology
- Developmental Psychology
- Personality Psychology
- Social Psychology
Minors are also offered in the areas above as well as quantitative and cognitive psychology. However, we do not accept students who only seek the masters degree.
Applications to all Ph.D. programs in Psychology should contain all of the elements required by the Graduate School. The Clinical Program requires supplemental application materials in addition to the general application to the Graduate School.
- Application Deadline: Deadlines specific to program
- Deadline to Apply for Financial Assistance: January 31st
Gishawn Mance, Ph.D.
A. Wade Boykin, Ph.D.
Angela Cole Dixon, Ph.D.
Department of Psychology Howard University
525 Bryant Street NW
Room N-179, CB Powell Building
Washington D.C. 20059
Applications to the following Ph.D. programs in Psychology (Developmental Psychology, Neuropsychology, Personality Psychology, and Social Psychology) should include all of the elements required by the Graduate School.
The Clinical Psychology Program requires a 1-page only supplemental application form in addition to the general application to the Graduate School.
Clinical Psychology Ph.D. Program Application Checklist
Deadline for admissions is December 1st. We consider Fall Semester admissions only. Please use the following checklist to ensure receipt of all requested materials by the appropriate office before the stated deadline. Items must be received at the Graduate School application website by the deadline. This checklist is meant for applicant use only. DO NOT turn this in to the Graduate School or to the Psychology Department as any part of your application. Only the Supplemental Application Form on the next page should be turned in, as a cover letter to your supplemental application materials. IF THESE INSTRUCTIONS ARE NOT FOLLOWED PRECISELY, YOUR SUPPLEMENTAL APPLICATION AS WELL AS YOUR GRADUATE SCHOOL ONLINE APPLICATION MAY NOT BE REVIEWED.
- Howard University Graduate School Online Application Forms
- Statement of Academic, Research and Professional Practice Goals
- Autobiographical Sketch
- Resume or CV
- Writing Sample (optional); should be a published article, paper under review, or an APA-style psychology research paper of maximum 10 pages; please modify as necessary)
- Unofficial Transcript (electronic upload)
- 3 Recommendations (4th optional)
- $75.00 Application Fee Paid (non-refundable) Have these test scores sent directly to the Graduate School: Howard University Institution Code is 5297. No department code is needed.
- Official GRE Report (Verbal, Quantitative, and Analytical)
- Official Psychology GRE Report (optional)
- Official TOEFL Report (if applicable)
In addition to the requirements listed above, all international applicants MUST include in their application packet the following:
- Official transcripts, final certificates and/or mark/grade sheets must be sent directly from the college or university to the Office of Graduate Recruitment and Admissions (photocopies or transcripts in the applicant's possession are not acceptable)
- If the documents are not in English, they must be accompanied by an official translated copy.
- All international transcripts must be evaluated by the World Education Services (WES). Please visit www.wes.org and initiate the International Credential Advantage Package which includes the transcript evaluation report with Course-by-Course grades and Grade Point Average (GPA), and provides verified copies of your transcripts. The WES report can be expedited at www.wes.org/why/fast.asp. The WES is sent directly to Howard University Graduate School, 4th & College Streets NW, Washington DC 20059. If the WES is not available in your country, the International Evaluation Services of the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO) may be accepted.
- All documents must bear the same name that appears on the admissions application unless an official document so submitted indicating a change of name.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) from all applicants from countries in whih English is not the official language. The TOEFL test is not required if you received a degree in the U.S.
- Statement of Financial Resources Form – A completed form that verifies proof of financial support (sufficient funds to cover expenses for one full year in US dollars only) and supporting financial documentation indicating sources of funds while attending Howard University (such as a certified bank statement dated within three months of registration).
We do not have a terminal master's degree program in any of our Ph.D. programs. Students are only accepted into the Ph.D. program and can earn a master's degree within that program.
- Cumulative Grade Point Average of 3.00 for graduate (Consult the graduate department for exception to this requirement)
- Minimum number of credits - 30
- Submission of a thesis in partial fulfilment of requirement for many departments
Doctor of Philosophy Degree
- Cumulative Grade Point Average of 3.00 for graduate (Consult graduate department for exception to this requirement)
- Minimum of 72 credits beyond the bachelor's degree
- At least four semesters of residence and full-time study (9 credit hours per semesters) in the Graduate School
- Passage of a comprehensive examination (not applicable to all departments)
- Submission of a dissertation in partial fulfilment of requirement for the degree
- Passage of the final oral examination of the dissertation
- 1-year full time APA-accreddited Psychology Internship
- Other departmental requirements
- Other clinical psychology program requirements
NOTE: Additional requirements for the Master's and PhD. degrees include the passing of the Expository Writing Examination and completion of the Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) workshop. These programs are held each semester of the academic year and are requirements for degree candidacy.
For more information, visit the Program for Academic Support Services or call: 202-806-7277.
Caution to Prospective Students
The Board of Trustees of Howard University on September 24, 1983, adopted the following policy statement regarding applications for admission: "Applicants seeking admission to Howard University are required to submit accurate and complete credentials and accurate and complete information requested by the University. Applicants who fail to do so shall be denied admission. Enrolled students who as applicants failed to submit accurate and complete credentials or accurate and complete information on their application for admission shall be subject to dismissal when the same is made known, regardless of classification."
All credentials must be sent to:
Howard University Graduate School
Office of Graduate Recruitment and Admissions
4th and College Streets, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20059