Current Size: 100%
Ernest E. Just-Percy L. Julian Graduate Research Assistantship
This application is for the Ernest E. Just-Percy L. Julian Graduate Research Assistantships. The awardee of a Just-Julian Assistantship works with a faculty member, research scientist, administrator or team of such in support of research projects. Just-Julian Assistantships are highly competitive. All applicants must ensure they satisfy any additional departmental application requirements associated with a Just-Julian Assistantship.
PURPOSE OF THE AWARD
The Just-Julian Assistantship is designed to give Ph.D. students an opportunity to gain experience in their respective academic field by working as a research assistant on a faculty member's or an administrator’s research project or on their own project under the close guidance of a faculty member. This award is intended to assist in preparing graduate students to undertake their own future research endeavor(s) and also to provide an opportunity to secure supplemental financial assistance through grant funding and/or other external funding sources.
Ph.D. students are appointed to the title Just-Julian Scholars and are selected on the basis of academic achievement, research interest/potential, and serve as a trainee under the direction and supervision of a faculty member who has an ongoing research enterprise. The Just-Julian Assistantship does not involve teaching.
Applicants must be a Ph.D. student in good academic standing with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.4 or higher, and who are:
- enrolled full-time
- making good progress toward the degree (if a continuing student)
- must be endorsed by the dean of the respective school or college
- must be sponsored by a faculty, research scientist, or administrator actively involved in research
Eligible applicants must complete an application. The following items must accompany the application in order to be considered:
- Submit an essay of at least 300 words that describes: (1) what you hope to accomplish academically/personally through this Just-Julian Assistantship; and, (2) what are your academic, research and personal goals that will be accomplished if awarded the graduate research assistantship. Students proposing their own project must also provide a research project description.
- Provide (student) a Curriculum Vitae or Resume, including your research experience and other relevant experience
- Current Transcripts (an unofficial transcription with be accepted)
Faculty Sponsors must submit: 1) a letter of endorsement; (2) curriculum vitae/resume that includes research and other relevant experience; and (3) a project description of at least 500 words discussing:
- the overall scope of the research and the students’ role,
- the academic and research experience the student will receive; and,
- the amount and type of research supervision the student will receive.
The Ernest E. Just-Percy L. Julian Graduate Research Assistantship selection process is competitive. An independent Graduate Faculty Review Committee, identified and appointed by the Dean of the Graduate School, will evaluate each application submitted by the posted due date. Selections will be based on the criteria listed above. Students and their faculty sponsors will be notified of selection decisions before the start of the new academic year.
Incomplete and/or late application packets will not be considered. There will be no exceptions.
Applications submitted as a single file and electronically are due the first Friday of February by 11:59 PM for award in the following fall semester.
Faculty Sponsors must submit their supporting documents on or before the due date to complete the students’ application packet. Applications without the Faculty Sponsor's supporting documentation will not be considered for funding.
A Just-Julian Assistantship is a one-time award. Students who are awarded a Just-Julian Award are not automatically awarded additional assistantship support in subsequent years. Students must submit an application for each year they plan to apply. The student must demonstrate that he or she has applied for external support when applying for a subsequent year graduate research assistantship.
Just-Julian Graduate Research Assistant Position
To be considered for a Just-Julian Award at Howard University, please provide the following information:
Current year in Graduate Program:
Subspecialty (if applies):
On a separate sheet, please respond to the following questions:
- Briefly describe your research interests:
- Why do you want to be a graduate research assistant?
- What sort(s) of prior research experience do you have?
- Why should you be selected for a Just-Julian Assistantship?
- Is there a faculty member at Howard University who could speak favorably about you and your academic or research prowess? If so, please provide the faculty member’s name, e-mail address and phone number. (Note: you should secure permission from this faculty member to be used as a reference before submitting this application). Is this the faculty member that you would like to do research with?
Student Signature___________________________ Date__________________________
Faculty Signature___________________________ Date__________________________
Dean’s Signature____________________________ Date__________________________
Funding Type: Research Fellowship
Related Degrees: Ph.D.
Deadline: Friday, February 5, 2021