Current Size: 100%
Merit-based financial support for Graduate Students is available through academic departments and researchers for graduate research and teaching assistantships, fellowships, and tuition scholarships. Each category of support is awarded annually on a competitive basis. Award recipients are expected to perform specified duties for 15 hours per week during the academic year. The responsibilities, often described as an internship, are defined and evaluated by the academic department or the Graduate School depending upon the appointment. Contact department chair or director of graduate studies for application information.
- Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a regular degree-seeking student in the Graduate School
- Have full-time status during the period of the assistantship. The student must either be registered for a minimum of nine (9) semester hours of course work or be working full- time on thesis or dissertation, or completing a project for non-thesis option
- Have a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.2 for all graduate study or, if enrolled in Graduate School for the first time, have a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0 in the undergraduate major
- Have satisfied all incomplete grades at the time of his/her appointment (thesis, dissertation, practice, directed study, independent study, special problems and internship credits excepted)
- Demonstrate proficiency in oral and written English if the native language is one other than English, show sufficient knowledge of the system of higher education in the United States, have some sensitivity of intercultural communication, and have good interpersonal skills to the satisfaction of the department or unit granting the assistantship.
- Students who are studying for a master’s degree may hold an assistantship for a maximum of two years. Those with the master’s degree and studying for the Ph.D. degree may hold the assistantship for a maximum of four years and those studying for the Ph.D. degree, where the masters is not required, may hold the assistantship for a maximum of five years.
Additionally, students are required to pay their own student fees each semester.
Funding Type: Assistantships