Current Size: 100%
Resources for Teaching and Learning
- Keeping Students Informed of Their Progress Strategies and suggestions for providing continuous and prompt communication to students.
- Grading Class Participation Why I expect students to participate, how I want them to participate, how to communicate those expectations to them, and, finally, how to grade it.
- University of Virgina - Teaching Tips Newsletter Many of the articles in the TRC's newsletter, Teaching Concerns, provide tips on ways to improve teaching. The different tips are grouped by catagory and cross-listed where appropriate. We hope that you find the following list, which also includes teaching tips not previously published in Teaching Concerns, useful in your teaching endeavors
Learning Styles/Teaching Styles
- Using Learning Styles to Adapt Technology to Higher Education
Provides a brief overview of learning styles in higher education and suggests strategies for applying computer technologies to teach using the learning styles.
- Models of Learning Styles
Lists models that focus on external conditions as well as those based on personality theory.
- Learning Styles Can Become Learning Strategies
A University of Michigan professor points out potential undesirable side effects from excessive application of learning style concepts.
- Models for Improving College Teaching: A Faculty Resource
This ERIC digest, based on a full-length report by Jon E. Travis, challenges faculty to reflect on the influence of their teaching on the learning process.
- Learning Styles Online
Authors and their learning style instruments are indicated and, where available, on-line inventories are linked.
- How to Write Behavioral Objectives
Developing and using behavioral objectives to infer that learning has taken place.
Instructional Technology and Computers
- Teaching with Electronic Technology
Web sites assembled by Michael L. Hall at the University of Maryland , College Park .
- Faculty Innovation Center
An overview of services available on the Austin campus of the University of Texas. Includes links to several courseware packages, including Blackboard and WebCT.
Subject-Specific Resources for Teaching and Learning
- Challenges in Teaching and Learning Introductory Physics
- Teaching and Learning Economics
- Teaching and Learning of English and Its Disciplines
- Center for History Teaching and Learning
- Teaching Political Science
- Applications of Psychological Science to Teaching and Learning
General Resources for Teaching and Learning
- Howard University Library Resources for Teaching and Research
An extensive list of resources available through the Howard University Library website.
- Disciplinary Styles in the Scholarship of Teaching: Reflections on the Carnegie Academy for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
Mary Taylor Huber discusses the evolution of discourse about teaching and learning within the disciplines, then describes how disciplinary styles influence the design of projects on teaching and learning and how the styles impact interdisciplinary exchange.
- Effective Teaching: Cybrary
An extensive list of Internet sites and sources of information, data, applications, and multimedia Widgets useful in college and university teaching.
- University of California Instructional Development Centers
Includes resources for teaching and learning, policies for mentoring and supervising TAs, and tips for promoting academic integrity at the University of California.
- Reinventing Undergraduate Education: A Blueprint for America's Research Universities
The Boyer Commission on Educating Undergraduates in the Research University outlines ten ways to change undergraduate education. One effective strategy is to educate graduate students as apprentice teachers.
- The Scholarship of Teaching and Learning: Questions and Answers from the Field
This article differentiates between scholarly teaching and the scholarship of teaching and the role for students in the scholarship of teaching and learning.
- Useful PFF-related Resources
Links to resources on various elements of the Preparing Future Faculty Program, including information about emerging and future roles of faculty and research on doctoral education.
- Teaching with Technology
Provides resources to help instructors select appropriate media to accomplish specific learning objectives.
- Visions of the Possible: Models for Campus Support of the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
Lee S. Shulman presents four models for supporting and advancing teaching and learning. He also emphasizes that the university must investigate its own efficacy, its own role, vis a vis its students, community and society.
- Online University Teaching Centers
The Academy for the Art of Teaching at Florida International University keeps the teaching community abreast of pedagogical developments through this geographical directory.
- Teaching and Learning Resource Center
Wayne State provides links to electronic publications and tutorials. See the interactive training package, "Creating a Community of Scholars," for suggestions on developing a successful, interactive class.
- Center for Research on Learning and Teaching
- The University of Michigan Center provides an excellent module on online teaching strategies and disciplinary resources.
- Office of Institutional Research and Assessment
The Syracuse University Center offers resource materials, one-on-one consultations, and links to related sites. Included among the topics for teachers are tips on grading papers, teaching large classes, and helping University students with learning disabilities.
- World Lecture Hall
A portal to syllabi and other course materials prepared by faculty in various disciplines at colleges and universities around the world.