Current Size: 100%



Grades earned in graduate program at Howard University are based on the following system:

A = four points per credit hour
B = three points per credit hour
C = two points per credit hour
D = one point per credit hour
F = zero points per credit hour

Section 1. D and F Grades

No degree credit is earned by a graduate student for D and F grades received in graduate level courses. Such courses must be repeated for a passing grade if they are to be counted as credit toward a graduate degree. However, grades of D and F are a permanent part of the record and are used in the calculation of the grade point average.

Section 2. Auditors

A student is permitted to audit a course, but he must pay the regular tuition and other fees as required for credit. An auditor does not participate in class discussion, does not take examinations, and does not receive credit.

Section 3. Undergraduate courses Taken by Graduate Students

Grades earned in undergraduate courses taken by a graduate student are calculated in the grade point average, but such courses are not applicable to meeting requirements for a graduate degree. An exception is made for advanced undergraduate courses specifically approved for either graduate or undergraduate credit, providing the student gives written notice to the instructor when classes begin that graduate credit is desired. Courses of this type shall usually have a special number which indicates departmental approval for this purpose. A maximum of nine hours of such courses may be counted toward a graduate degree with the approval of the department in which the degree is sought.

Section 4. Graduate Courses Taken by Undergraduate Students

An undergraduate student who is a candidate for graduation from one of the several schools and colleges of Howard University, and who has less than 15 credits to complete for graduation may be allowed to take graduate courses in the amount of the difference between 15 credits and the number of credits required to graduate. However, the student must first obtain from the dean of his/her school verification of his cumulative average, courses and credits needed for graduation, and certification that the graduate courses pursued will not be used toward completion of requirements for his undergraduate degree. The student must then receive approval of the Dean of the Graduate School prior to enrollment in the courses concerned. If permission is granted, such time spent in graduate courses may be counted toward the minimum residence requirement for a degree.

Section 5. Change of Grade

A grade assigned for work in a course is not subject to change. Exceptions may be considered in case of a specific error which may be corrected upon petition by the teacher of the course, to be submitted in writing for the approval of the Dean of the Graduate School, not later than one month after the beginning of the succeeding semester in which the student is in residence.

Section 6. Incomplete Grades

All incomplete grades, except those for thesis and research courses, carry an alternate grade indication. The grade "I" with alternate indicates that the work, otherwise satisfactory, was incomplete at the time of making the grade report, but it can be completed by the student by the end of the last day of the next semester in which the student is enrolled. This grade may be given to those students who, upon petitioning the instructor, have provided acceptable justification for some portion of the course requirement being incomplete at the time when final grade reports are due. Normally, this will involve the submission of such things as term papers, exams, and notebooks, but may also include completion of contracted periods of service which may not correspond to the grading period. At the time the alternate grade is given, the teacher shall indicate in the space provided on the grade sheet the reason for giving the grade of "I" alternate. The alternate grade shall indicate the mark which will stand if the incomplete grade is not removed.

If in very exceptional circumstances the teacher cannot submit an alternate grade for a student, the Dean of Graduate School may allow an "I" to be submitted with an explanation on the grade sheet.

The grade of "W" is given students who withdraw from a course after the first five days of the term.

Section 7. Transfer of Credit to Graduate Degrees

The term "transfer of credit for M.A., M.S., and Ph.D. degrees" refers to granting credit toward the total number of semester hours required for the degree from graduate hours earned in other graduate programs. This applies to graduate work done at Howard University and other accredited colleges and universities. In all instances where transfer of credit is granted, it must be the considered judgment of the department that the work is relevant and meets the same objectives as a comparable course in its program. Even though a course requested for transfer may be suitable and meets the above criteria, a department may still reserve the right to require that its own course(s) be taken.

Departments are permitted to accept a limited number of graduate hours for transfer to satisfy the requirements for master's and doctoral degrees with the approval of the Dean of the Graduate School. Such transfer may not be used to satisfy the resident requirement.

All transfers of credit from another institution require the recommendation of the department and the approval of the Executive Committee of the Graduate School. A grade of C may not be transferred for credit toward a graduate degree at Howard University.

For the specifics concerning the number of hours allowed for transfer to master's and doctoral degrees, consult the appropriate section under General Requirements for the degree in question.