International Admissions

Howard University is authorized, under federal law, to enroll nonimmigrant students.

Persons applying to graduate programs must have a superior academic record and the equivalent of Howard University's four-year baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution. International students are advised to begin the admissions process at least one year in advance of the time they wish to enter the University because of the tests required, delays in international mail, etc. International students must submit the following materials by March 1 for the fall semester, August 1 for the spring semester, and February 1 for the summer session: 

An application with the $75 application fee in bank draft U.S. dollars in the form of a money order or a certified check made payable to Howard University. Cash should not be sent; 

Original certificates and/or official final secondary school records, official university transcripts, mark sheets, official translations, and syllabi; 

Results from the tests required for regular degree students; 

Scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) as required for applicants whose native language is not English. (Some Howard University colleges and schools require the TOEFL from all international applicants). Once applications have been received, the Office of Admissions will inform students as to whether or not they must take this test. For information on the test, applicants may write to: TOEFL, Educational Testing Service, Box 899, Princeton, New Jersey 08540, U.S.A. 

Immigration Form I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility), needed to obtain a student visa is not issued until the applicant has (1) been accepted by the Office of Admissions, (2) paid the enrollment fee, and (3) submitted a financial statement indicating how expenses will be met while the student is attending the University. The I-20 form will accompany the permit to register. 

Regulations of the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service require that all persons on F-1 (student) visas pursue a full course of study at all times. This means that graduate students must take a full course of study, 9 credit hours if study is course work only, or some combination of course work and research or writing of a thesis or dissertation. Each international student is responsible for maintaining immigration status while in the United States. Failure to do so will jeopardize the student's stay in the United States. Students who have been accepted at Howard are not guaranteed housing, and most international students do not live in University dormitories. Upon arrival in Washington, those who need assistance in finding housing should contact the Office of Residence Life or the Office of International Student Services.

In addition to the requirements listed above, all international applicants MUST include in their application packet the following:

  • Official transcripts, final certificates and/or mark/grade sheets must be sent directly from the college or university to the Office of Graduate Recruitment and Admissions (photocopies or transcripts in the applicant's possession are not acceptable)
  • If the documents are not in English, they must be accompanied by an official translated copy.
  • An academic evaluation by a NACES member is required from all international students who have studied outside of the United States. All transcripts from non-US post secondary educational institutions must be sent directly to the evaluation agency by the issuing institution. This is a requirement before full admission can be granted. The academic evaluation requirement cannot be waived. Moreover, if your transcript is in a foreign language, an official English translation is required. We highly encourage you to select a NACES member with electronic delivery. We are currently able to receive evaluations electronically via IEE and WES (ICAP). If you have recently requested an academic evaluation to be delivered to our office via mail, please contact us at hugsadmission@howard.eduEvaluations will not be accepted via email/fax.
  • All documents must bear the same name that appears on the admissions application unless an official document so submitted indicating a change of name.
  • TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) a score of 90 on the Internet base (IBT) is required for applicants whose native language is not English. Official TOEFL scores must be sent directly from ETS. The TOEFL test is only waived if the applicant has received a degree in the U.S. In lieu of the TOEFL (if not offered in your country), applicants may submit results from IELTS (International English Language Testing System) with an overall score of a 6.5.