Certificate Application Checklist

Application Checklist (Non-Howard Students)

Complete the following to apply to a graduate certificate program as a student who is not currently enrolled at Howard.

Online GradCAS Application

Start a new application at GradCAS by creating an account. Filter by “Institution” [Howard University] and “Program Level” [Certificate]. Applications for certificates must be submitted online.

Official Transcripts

A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university is required for admission. Submit to GradCAS official transcripts from each college or university attended. Instructions for sending official transcripts to GradCAS.

Two (2) Letters of Recommendation

Letters of recommendation should be requested and submitted via GradCAS. A minimum of two (2) letters of recommendation are required.

Current Résumé or Curriculum Vitae

Upload to GradCAS a current résumé or curriculum vitae listing your current and past employer(s) and professional experiences.

Statement of Purpose or Academic Interest (550 words max)

Upload to GradCAS a statement of purpose or statement of academic interest that describes your purpose and professional goals related to pursuing the specific Graduate Certificate at the Howard University Graduate School.

Autobiographical Statement (500-750 words)

Upload to GradCAS an autobiographical statement describing any unique qualities, abilities, and other personal details that motivate your desire to pursue the specific Graduate Certificate.  

English Proficiency for Non-Native English Speakers

If your native language is not English, you are required to submit proof of English Language Proficiency regardless of citizenship and/or U.S. residency status. The English Language Test for non-native English speakers is waived for applicants who hold (or will earn before starting at Howard) at least a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher education in the United States or who hold (or will earn before starting at Howard) at least a bachelor’s degree from an institution where English was the language of instruction AND the official language of the country in which the institution is located. See English Language Proficiency Requirements here.