Hawthorne Dissertation Research Fellowship
The Hawthorne Dissertation Award is a non-service, merit-based award available to students admitted to candidacy and in the terminal year of Ph.D. studies. Domestic and International Students are eligible for this award. This award is for one academic year and is non-renewable. The award named for Edward Hawthorne, former Dean of the Graduate School, is designed to provide tuition for the fall and spring for students who have advanced to candidacy. All award recipients are responsible for paying student fees to maintain their enrollment status. The student activity fees are not included. These fees must be paid each semester and are subject to increase. This award is non-renewable and recipients are expected to receive the Ph.D. degree by May of the following year.
Applicants must have:
- evidence of terminal year progress towards the dissertationmade sufficient research progress to indicate completion within the year of the award;
- admitted to candidacy; and
obtained a minimum cumulative doctoral study grade point average of 3.2.
NOTE: Incomplete applications will NOT be reviewed and you will NOT be notified.
Application must be electronically submitted by no later than 5:00 p.m., EST on Friday, January 27, 2023.
Applicants must submit a PDF file electronically no later than 5:00 p.m. EST on Friday, January 27, 2023. The documents in the single file must be organized as follow:
- Completed Hawthorne Dissertation Award application form
- Transcript from current or most recently attended institution
- Admission to candidacy form
- Synopsis dissertation research statement of expected completion date signed by academic advisor
- Dissertation progress report signed by the dissertation advisor
- Must not exceed five (5) pages
- Must include: title, objectives, methodology, preliminary findings and significance of the research
Three (3) appraisals of the applicant’s form (one completed by the dissertation advisor and the other two completed by faculty who are able to evaluate the applicant’s competence as a scholar and a researcher.
DO NOT INCLUDE MATERIALS THAT ARE NOT LISTED HERE, THEY WILL BE DISCARDED.
Applications will be reviewed by the Graduate School’s Financial Aid Advisory Committee.
Applications will be reviewed and judged on the following assessment of:
- Dissertation progress report (50%);
- Recommendations (20%); and
- Academic and professional accomplishments of applicants (30%).
SUBMIT APPLICATIONS TO:
GraduateSchool@howard.edu by 5:00 p.m. EST on Friday, January 27, 2023.
The subject line must read the Hawthorne Dissertation Research Assistance Award
Deadline: Friday, January 27, 2023
Funding Type: Fellowship, Scholarship
Related Degrees: Ph.D.