Join the Graduate School Ambassador Team
Join the #GSAmbassadors!
Our Graduate School Ambassadors are champions of the Howard graduate student community. They are invaluable to prospective and admitted students searching for a current peer's perspective on graduate student life, research, and networking opportunities, tips on making the most of life in Washington, D.C. and campus life, and the benefits of attending a specific Howard graduate program.
Apply below to join the team! We're looking for a diverse group of personalities and leaders that can work together to show off our Bison pride!
What do Graduate School Ambassadors do?
As a Graduate School Ambassador, you'll have a hands-on role in:
⇲ Connecting and interacting with prospective students: Graduate School ambassadors interact with prospective students through online chat (via Unibuddy, a social platform that connects current students with prospective applicants from around the world) and student panels to help answer questions about their programs and graduate student life at Howard.
⇲ Representing Howard at on-campus and virtual events: They represent Howard's Graduate School at a variety of campus, community, and virtual outreach events to help spread the word about Howard's graduate programs and graduate student life.
⇲ Planning outreach and social media content creation: Graduate School ambassadors draw on their personal experiences to tell the Howard story and highlight the opportunities and benefits of attending Howard. Additional outreach may include developing social media content that showcases the graduate student experience.
Are you passionate about meeting new people, eager to share your Howard graduate student experiences with future Bison, and interested in welcoming prospective and incoming graduate students to the Howard community? If so, we invite you to apply to become a Graduate School Ambassador. The Graduate School Ambassador program is an excellent opportunity for current students to showcase their leadership, communication skills, and excitement for Howard.
Who sponsors this program?
The Office of Graduate School Student Affairs at Howard sponsors the Graduate School Ambassador Program. We provide administrative support for Graduate School Ambassadors (GSAs) and coordinate programming to support a robust graduate community.
Do GSAs receive compensation?
While Graduate School Ambassadors do not receive compensation, participation in the program provides an invaluable professional development and leadership opportunity.
Apply to Become an Ambassador!
Applications for the Graduate School Ambassador Program are available at the beginning of the fall semester of each academic year. If you are interested in becoming a Graduate School Ambassador, please complete the application form below to be considered for the 2022-2023 academic year.
Graduate School Ambassadors will be asked to complete an orientation to become familiar with Graduate School information and their roles and responsibilities. If you have any questions about the ambassador program, please reach out to Assistant Dean for Graduate School Student Affairs, Miriam Okine Davies.
Who we're looking for (Eligibility)
You can sign up to do as much or as little as you like, but the program thrives on the experience, enthusiasm, and sincerity of proud Howard students (like you). To become a Graduate School Ambassador, you must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- You are currently enrolled in a master's or doctoral degree program within the Graduate School at Howard
- You'll maintain good academic standing (GPA of 3.0 or higher)
- You can commit to being an ambassador for at least one full academic year (September to May)
- You are motivated to positively represent your program, the Graduate School, and Howard
- You are a confident communicator and are comfortable speaking to small and large groups
- You agree to uphold the standards of behavior governed by the University Student Code of Conduct
- You can attend at least three (3) virtual meetings for the academic year starting each fall semester
- You are willing to efficiently and professionally respond to prospective graduate students' questions about your program and graduate student life at Howard
What you can expect (Expectations)
There are several ways to be involved as a Graduate School Ambassador. As opportunities arise, ambassadors may be asked to assist with any of the following:
- Share your first-person, personal insights into the graduate student experience at Howard
- Chat with graduate prospective and admitted students through Unibuddy, a social platform that connects current students with prospective applicants from around the world
- Host or attend orientation events for admitted and matriculating students
- Participate in Graduate School sponsored events, fairs, and open houses when available
- Participate in student panels and testimonials
- Share approved content, including photos, blog posts, and videos curating and showcasing the graduate student experience
- Complete mandatory Graduate School Ambassador training
Why become an ambassador? (Benefits)
Graduate School Ambassadors play an essential role in defining the Howard experience for others, but there are also individual personal and professional benefits to joining the program. Our Graduate School Ambassadors gain:
- Ability to represent Howard as a student leader while serving as a mentor
- Lasting friendships with fellow Student Ambassadors
- More experience with public speaking
- Recognition for your dedicated service at graduation
- Enhanced resume/C.V.
- Greater exposure to professional networks
- Ability to help students overcome barriers to higher education
- Enjoy special Student Ambassador social events
- Howard Graduate School Ambassador swag